Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Quiet...

really quiet, my house, right now - all of the machines stopped whirring at the same time - strange, given the number of two-legged and four-legged occupants usually pounding around and splitting plaster from my ceiling and knocking pinecones and ornaments from the Christmas trees. Strange - like every other day this week - today, my favorite all-around good guy, eighth grade ELA teacher extraordinaire, gay but built like Adonis friend blew his stack. Spilled over, actually, from yesterday. UnBeLievable. Apparently the atmosphere at school is not just frustrating/confusing/pissing off the new people, but the very rocks that this institution has been built upon for the past six years. The best of the best have had it. They're dropping like flies...leaving. My friend put it bluntly, "Something has to be done, now, we're hemorrhaging." I do not want these teachers to leave, but I have no say. I do not want inconsistent discipline handed down from on high, but I have no say. I think there are too many indian chiefs and, here, I do have a say. I am going to stay safely in my classroom, leading my troops through the battle. Here I was trying to stay off of the radar screen - now I'm praying I dodge the bullets - or the arrows, or whatever the hell it is that's getting thrown around. This can't be normal...

No comments: